BURSAR'S OFFICEFrom the earliest days members of the scientific staff were assigned administrative duties, and between 1946 and 1962 a number of Plymouth scientists, including Dr H.G. Vevers, Dr N.A. Holme and Dr D.B. Carlisle, held the title of Bursar, the main duty being the care of visiting scientists. Although not formally appointed to the position until 1977, Dr J.B. Gilpin Brown acted as Bursar from 1973, being responsible for finance, buildings, the care of visiting workers" and research seawater supplies, and worked virtually full time on these duties, with secretarial assistance, until his death in 1987.
Staff and visiting workers records.
1890-1970 Documents in folders, envelopes and 1 ledger [MG]
Summary: Includes visiting workers on grants, and a book recording non-scientific staff(1890-1956).
Visiting workers and students records.
1890-1987 Ledgers, card index and lever-arch files [MG6]
Summary: 4 wooden card index boxes (1890-1941), with cards arranged alphabetically by visitor's name. 7 ledgers (1894-1979), with 4 volumes arranged chronologically, with visitor's names, affiliations, subjects of interest, dates; and 3 volumes with names arranged in alphabetical groups; some include staff names and addresses, and loose papers. 18 lever arch files of record sheets and cards (1973-1982) and 1 file of British Council sponsored visiting workers (1974-1987).
MBA membership records.
1885-1939 3 leather bound ledgers [MG]
Summary: Ledgers arranged alphabetically under members' names.
MBA membership records.
1945-1975 Record sheets and cards [MG]
Summary: Includes deceased and resigned members.
Buildings, extensions etc.
1911-1987 Files, envelopes and plans [MG2]
Note: Earlier material originated in the Director's Office.
Summary: Boxes cover the years 1911-1951, 1949-1970, 1970-1987, with West Hoe proposed extension material (1967-1973) in the fourth box.
Note: Most of the files originated in the Director's office.
Summary: Includes proposed extension, with plans, bills of quantities etc. (1919-1925); electrical installation (1920-1922); Easter Class room (1922); Pier Cellars agreement (1922) and erection of wall (1933); access to foreshore agreement (1928); War Department Land Agent agreements for extensions (1920-1930); Library (1930-1931); Director's house (1936-1938); Building Fund (1938-1940); War damage and insurance (1941-1947); postwar restoration of main building (1942-1951); Workshop extension (1948-1949); pumping and circulation arrangements, undated, labelled "Nelson's originals"; appeals for funds for extensions (1911, 1924, 1926, 1930), and for Laboratory extension and the purchase of a steamship for research (1920).
Note: Many of the files originated in the Director's office.
Summary: Includes general files on maintenance and alterations 1949-1955, 1958-1961 and 19611968; East wing rebuilding (1949-1953); Isotope laboratory (1950-1952); Phoenix Wharf store (1952 and 1965-1967); extension plans (1957); correspondence with Nuffield Foundation, Isaac Wolfson Foundation and Wellcome Trust and others and applications for grants for Aquarium rebuilding (19581960) and Laboratory extension (1960-1965); Dogfish House and related work (1967-1970).
Summary: Includes Library extension (1970-1975); seawater circulation system and equipment (1970; 1972); Glassblowing workshop (1977-1979); Foreshore pumphouse (1978-1982); Reservoir tank room (1979-1982); Electron microscope accommodation (1980-1982); boiler and seawater cooling systems (1983-1986); Cylinder store (1984-1987); Tracer suite (1986-1987); capital requirements (1986-1987).
Note: Files of the Director, Deputy Director, Bursar and G. T. Boalch. Additional documents relating to the Library are in Library papers.
Summary: Correspondence with NERC, architects (BDP - Building Design Partnership); architects plans; staff comments. The scheme was abandoned. BURSAR'S OFFICE
Meetings, functions, collections and visits documents.
1926-1991 Letters and reports [MG3]
Note: Much of the material originated in the Director's Office. Additional material relating to Challenger Society, Development Commission, and SCOR Working Group, is in other files.
Summary: Correspondence, programmes, lists of attendeees and letters to and from participants. Includes visit of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1960); Development Commission visits (1961 and 1963); Society for Experimental Biology Plymouth conferences (1926, 1939 and 1962); Systematics Association and Challenger Society meeting on Speciation in the Sea (1961); Algal Culture meeting (1954); Challenger Society Plymouth meetings (1954 and 1971); International Congress of Zoology visit to Plymouth (1958);
Physiological Society Plymouth meetings (1962 and 1968); Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) Working Group on Abstracts and Bibliographies of use in Marine Sciences (1963); International Botanical Congress excursion to Plymouth (1964); A.J. Smith (Laboratory Chief Assistant) retirement fund correspondence (1940); Sir William Bate Hardy Memorial tablet installation (1965); MBA Centenary (1984); European Marine Biology Symposium (1984); MBA Open Days (1991).
Summary: Programme, guest list, lunch menu, address by F.S. Russell, and letters of thanks. This marked the end of the Development Commission phase regarding financial support of the MBA.
Summary: Includes exhibition catalogue, invitations, banquet menu, with signatures; papers; message from the Duke of Edinburgh.
1984 Programmes, leaflets [MG3.6]
Summary: Includes catalogue of the exhibits at the MBA.